As a few of you might know I am not only a large fan of gaming on original systems but also like to dabble in the dark art of emulation. Yes, I understand many purists will be hitting the back button in disgust — but I’m of the view that emulation has a place in each retro gamer’s life. Emulation lets you experience games in close pixel-perfection you will not ever be able to manage or find and by a historical standpoint it’s a great way to archive and catalogue titles which would otherwise evaporate.
My choice of emulation instrument is a self-modded original (some call it’classic’ today ) Microsoft XBox. I have been asked on many occasions on the way to mod an XBox and also what kind of modded XBox is, therefore within this series of posts I will reveal to you the abilities of my 2 units and show you the way to start getting your own.More Here xbox isos At our site
I decided to use this particular hardware after stumbling across websites run by fans and finding exactly how large the XBox mod scene still is and exactly what a competent machine they’re for emulation purposes. Nearly every emulator ever made has been ported to XBox and in the majority of cases continues to be enhanced still further by enthusiasts with the addition of video collections and art. A lot of you may have already heard of or use XBMC on additional hardware (Apple TV etc.), well it all started about the humble XBox hence it’s name (XBox Media Center). Obviously it is possible to use an XBox as a great networked Media Centre plus it does a lot more things apart from but since this is RGC I will focus on the topic of retro console and computer emulation.
A modded Xbox is my own pick within PC/Mac emulation for the following 6 reasons:
1. The XBox is relatively easy to mod yourself (soft-modding a Typical 8gb XBox takes moments as Soon as You understand the way to have the tools/software)
2. The device fits beneath your telly, unlike a PC
3. A timeless XBox is inexpensive, I noticed them being marketed with a controller for #14.99 lately at my local GameStation. EBay is another great source of inexpensive XBoxes. Unlike a Xbox 360, the original Xbox is extremely dependable — almost bombproof.
6. The developer scene is still going strong and fresh variations of popular emulators are released weekly
A modded XBox also has the following benefits:
3. You can upgrade your HDD into something bigger
4. You can save your DVD films and games to your HDD and play out there (faster loading times)
5. Skill to use a mouse and keyboard (good for those point and click adventure names )
6. Tremendous development scene resulting in hundreds of ported emulators and utilities
7. Fully networkable more than LAN with some other devices you’ve
8. Great alternative to a PC at a House arcade cabinet setup
9. Once the HDD is upgraded they make adequate Network Media Centres (XBMC)